The cardholder’s bank received a call from their cardholder who is insisting that they did not authorize or participate in a transaction that you processed. The cardholder’s bank determined all of the following occurred:
- The transaction was completed in a card-present environment with a card that was reported lost or stolen,
- The transaction qualifies for the EMV liability shift,
- The card is a PIN-preferring chip card, and
- One of these actions transpired:
- The transaction did not take place at a chip-reading device.
- A chip-initiated transaction took place at a chip-reading device that was not EMV PIN-compliant.
- The transaction was chip-initiated without an online PIN and was authorized online and the processor did not transmit the full chip data to Visa in the authorization request.